This is the Quality Contributions Roundup. It showcases interesting and well-written comments and posts from the period covered. If you want to get an idea of what this community is about or how we want you to participate, look no further (except the rules maybe--those might be important too).
As a reminder, you can nominate Quality Contributions by hitting the report button and selecting the "Actually A Quality Contribution!" option. Additionally, links to all of the roundups can be found in the wiki of /r/theThread which can be found here. For a list of other great community content, see here.
These are mostly chronologically ordered, but I have in some cases tried to cluster comments by topic so if there is something you are looking for (or trying to avoid), this might be helpful.
Quality Contributions in the Main Motte
- "That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever read, and that should mean a lot, because I have read many books, papers, articles, comics, and pamphlets - and some of them were ridiculous on purpose."
- "...there is one area that always rubs me the wrong way. It is smart people who don't know dumb people talking about intelligence."
- "Every few hours, when I get tired of sneaking a cheeky vape in the millions of bathrooms and liminal stairwells that litter my hospital, I'll head over to the back of the building, in a secluded, roped off area that's the de-facto smoker's haunt of the place."
- "The femcel narrator's view of herself as the putative underdog ('She wears short-skirts I wear T Shirts, she's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers') is the kind of self-view every American takes of themselves."
- "Nobody is offering me free benzos to keep me from going too far in defense of my own property."
- "Show up and take the bitch's gun away. Then I might be in a frame of mind for free heroin."
Contributions for the week of August 28, 2023
- "This is an easy case, and if we can't even refrain from thumbing the scale when our ideological enemies are so easily defeated by pointing to the truth, we have no chance on anything remotely hard."
Contributions for the week of September 4, 2023
- "The Washington Post complains that 'Southwest had a constitutional right to issue a memo expressing its disagreement with the jury verdict'."
- "Yeah, it's clear that the thumb has been on the scale to benefit the producers of fake meat-like products."
- "It's either staggering incompetence or a scapegoat for the loss, but at least in PA, The Republican party were all for mail in voting... until they weren't."
All Moderators Are Bastards
- "Sometimes you do see cops acting more aggressive and antagonistic than the situation calls for, when it's clear they are out of patience, but only rarely have I seen cops really behaving like "bastards" or taking down someone who didn't need to be taken down or using unnecessary force."
The Aliens Have Landed Gentry
- "Iomedae sounds like an idiot on the subject of immigration, because she's very clearly being an author-mouthpiece."
- "Hawaii (1966) is about a Christian missionary founding the first church on Maui in 1820, and it is an antique in so many ways."
- "To the surprise of no one, sanctuary cities don't actually want hundreds of thousands of poor foreigners wandering about in their backyards."
- "I was on one of these busses that was filled with migrants sometime around the beginning of the year."
Contributions for the week of September 11, 2023
- "The pro vax redditor repeated the simple talking points drilled into his or her head during an emotional time and identified Novak as a villain."
- "I sometimes wonder if 'sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' is an even more effective description of human psychology than it was intended to be."
- "We are bound by the laws of physics, but we don't actually know what all the laws of physics are yet."
- "If the 'philsopher-kings' existed and were actually competent I believe they would just exactly recreate money and artificial scarcity."
Will the Real America Please Stand Up?
- "Americans believe they are free and equal, but free men will not be equal, and equal men are not free."
- "My generation grew up with healthy diversity and colorblindness on TV, and then we threw it away to punish our ancestors."
Contributions for the week of September 18, 2023
- "Our sex culture needs a deeper culture change in order to work for most people again, but we have to find a way to fix this! Our whole future is riding on it."
- "On American Graffiti, Street Rod Shows, the Meaning of Teenage Rebellion, and Watching a Subculture Choose Death Over Diversity"
- "There is this meme/observation - in the 60s the car manuals included how to adjust the valves, Today the warning is to not drink from the washing fluid."
The Best Offence is a Good Defense
Who's Cheating Whom?
- "The thing is, I straight-up don't think Progressives generally care about fidelity in marriage, in any way I recognize as 'caring about marriage'."
- "Maybe, they think, you can keep the positive commitment of marriage, without the stifling confines of sexual exclusivity."
Contributions for the week of September 25, 2023
- "I started reading and thinking about Theodore Kaczynski's Industrial Society And It's Future around the time that he died and everyone was talking about it."
- "It's fun to imagine those staffers, and the circumstances that lead the Liberal Party and Parliament to have nobody in the entire chain equipped to realize that 'fought against the Russians in WWII' needs a second look. What an unbelievable unforced error."
This weekly roundup thread is intended for all culture war posts. 'Culture war' is vaguely defined, but it basically means controversial issues that fall along set tribal lines. Arguments over culture war issues generate a lot of heat and little light, and few deeply entrenched people ever change their minds. This thread is for voicing opinions and analyzing the state of the discussion while trying to optimize for light over heat.
Optimistically, we think that engaging with people you disagree with is worth your time, and so is being nice! Pessimistically, there are many dynamics that can lead discussions on Culture War topics to become unproductive. There's a human tendency to divide along tribal lines, praising your ingroup and vilifying your outgroup - and if you think you find it easy to criticize your ingroup, then it may be that your outgroup is not who you think it is. Extremists with opposing positions can feed off each other, highlighting each other's worst points to justify their own angry rhetoric, which becomes in turn a new example of bad behavior for the other side to highlight.
We would like to avoid these negative dynamics. Accordingly, we ask that you do not use this thread for waging the Culture War. Examples of waging the Culture War:
Attempting to 'build consensus' or enforce ideological conformity.
Making sweeping generalizations to vilify a group you dislike.
Recruiting for a cause.
Posting links that could be summarized as 'Boo outgroup!' Basically, if your content is 'Can you believe what Those People did this week?' then you should either refrain from posting, or do some very patient work to contextualize and/or steel-man the relevant viewpoint.
In general, you should argue to understand, not to win. This thread is not territory to be claimed by one group or another; indeed, the aim is to have many different viewpoints represented here. Thus, we also ask that you follow some guidelines:
Speak plainly. Avoid sarcasm and mockery. When disagreeing with someone, state your objections explicitly.
Be as precise and charitable as you can. Don't paraphrase unflatteringly.
Don't imply that someone said something they did not say, even if you think it follows from what they said.
Write like everyone is reading and you want them to be included in the discussion.
On an ad hoc basis, the mods will try to compile a list of the best posts/comments from the previous week, posted in Quality Contribution threads and archived at /r/TheThread. You may nominate a comment for this list by clicking on 'report' at the bottom of the post and typing 'Actually a quality contribution' as the report reason.
In this episode, an authoritarian and some anarchist(s) have an unhinged conversation about policing.
Participants: Yassine, Kulak, & Hoffmeister25 [Note: the latter's voice has been modified to protect him from the progressive nanny state's enforcement agents.]
About the Daniel Penny Situation (Hoffmeister25)
Posse comitatus (Wikipedia)
The Iron Rule (Anarchonomicon)
Eleven Magic Words (Yassine Meskhout)
Blackstone's ratio (Wikipedia)
Halfway To Prison Abolition (Yassine Meskhout)
Defunding My Mistake (Yassine Meskhout)
Recorded 2023-09-16 | Uploaded 2023-09-25