This is the Quality Contributions Roundup. It showcases interesting and well-written comments and posts from the period covered. If you want to get an idea of what this community is about or how we want you to participate, look no further (except the rules maybe--those might be important too).
As a reminder, you can nominate Quality Contributions by hitting the report button and selecting the "Actually A Quality Contribution!" option. Additionally, links to all of the roundups can be found in the wiki of /r/theThread which can be found here. For a list of other great community content, see here.
These are mostly chronologically ordered, but I have in some cases tried to cluster comments by topic so if there is something you are looking for (or trying to avoid), this might be helpful.
Quality Contributions to the Main Motte
- "I had a thing in high school where, when faced with the attention of females, I would become so emotionally fraught that I would vomit."
- "Culture created Africa's problems, culture can fix its problems, and culture prevents us from fixing its problems."
- "Falling birthrates matter when it comes to individual families, because the last person ever to remember an event/speak a language/practice an art dies, and that information is lost, and no amount of AI will ever get it back."
Contributions for the week of January 1, 2024
- "Two months ago (an eternity in podcasting, I know) I was on the Bayesian Conspiracy podcast to discuss polyamory with Aella and Eneasz, both of whom are hella fucking poly."
- "Of course this also doesn’t work, and the cycle continues until the answer becomes that the whole of society is broken and we need to completely tear down all of the structure of the world and rebuild it from scratch (which of course will also not work)."
- "So there's something more needed beyond just 'people are born different' to get to 'therefore we must exterminate the lower orders.'"
- "A couple weeks ago I had an argument with people on here about the Sexual Revolution, and its terrible effects on society, or lack thereof."
- "What I really want is for you to be proactive in telling me which you mean, rather than just talking about what you don’t consider to be racism."
Contributions for the week of January 8, 2024
- " Still, with the seedy undercurrent getting more and more noticed, I thought I could post some notes from the underground, plus I'm curious to know the opinions of people (probably) less exposed to this stuff on
the latest coomer techpossible harms of generative AI in general."
- "[Y]ou shouldn't or can't treat these massive systems as much more earnestly engaged in finding those answers than some rando online, and you shouldn't trust that much, either."
- "They want to replace and degrade whites and white men in particular. There's an elite consensus that this is the way to go."
- "I don't know any honest-to-goodness real life spies, but I really wonder if they have some sort of similar dysfunction/skepticism toward each other that we Science types have toward our own."
- "Ask them if they are literally in favor of open borders and they will say no. But ask them what sort of restrictions we should have..."
Contributions for the week of January 15, 2024
- "As a barometer of community sentiment, I tried to understand why my questions would be met so negatively and so this post is my attempt to formulate some theories."
- "In this regard, LLMs are absolutely wonderful. They allow anyone with limited training to meet bureaucratic standards with minimal effort."
- "Rick Priestley was a Classics and Ancient History graduate and states that 40K is what happens if a medieval society was a spacefaring one."
- "The majority of US airline disasters leave an impact on airline regulation and aviation in general, if sometimes not quite enough, or only after a delay."
"It's arguably a testament to strength of and prosperity the existing local order that so many people are effectively able to live their entire lives within it without ever having to interface with the ugly realities."
- "The death of SI reflects that loss of a broad shared mainstream culture, traded in for specificity and niches."
Contributions for the week of January 22, 2024
- "With several conflicts around the world that endanger American Geopolitical interests how will the Army try to boost their numbers of foot soldiers? Will its attempt(s) be effective?"